History of St Sylvester's

History of our church

The church consists of chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, embattled west tower with five bells, and is mainly Perpendicular in style. The oldest part of the church is the chancel, which was erected early in the 14th century, the aisles were added a century or more later. There is a fine rood screen of the Dartmouth type, extending across nave and both aisles. The groining is gone and the spandrels are filled with the remains of the old carving. There are painted figures of Apostles and bishops on the lower panels of the chancel screen, in the aisles the panels are decorated with arabesque patterns. There are north and south parclose screens. Special notice should be taken of the pulpit. It is all in one piece, being hollowed out of the trunk of a large oak tree; the outside has been shaped into octagonal form, and is richly carved and painted to match the screen. The registers date from 1630.